The Simpsons: The Springfield Animals (also known as The Springfield Animals, The Simpson Bunnies, or The Springfield Animals: A Simpsons Movie in the working title) is a 2021 American computer-animated musical adventure comedy film and an anthropomorphized spin-off of the popular long-running Fox animated television series The Simpsons. The film was directed by David Silverman and stars the regular television cast of Dan Castellaneta, Julie Kavner, Nancy Cartwright, Yeardley Smith, Hank Azaria, Harry Shearer, Pamela Hayden, and Tress MacNeille. The movie takes place in a utopian Springfield where the citizens are anthropomorphized animals.
Plot[edit | edit source]
Characters[edit | edit source]
- Homer Simpson: A rabbit and the bumbling father of the Simpson family.
- Marge Simpson: A rabbit and the caring mother of the Simpson family.
- Bart Simpson: A rabbit and the mischievous eldest child of the Simpson family.
- Lisa Simpson: A rabbit and the intelligent middle child of the Simpson family.
- Maggie Simpson: A rabbit and Homer and Marge's youngest daughter.
- Ned Flanders: A cow and the extremely religious next "diddly-door" neighbor of the Simpsons.
- Grampa Abraham Simpson: A rabbit, the senile grandfather of the Simpson family, and Homer's father.
- Patty and Selma Bouvier: A mountain lion and an elephant and Marge's cynical chain-smoking best friends.
- Krusty the Clown: A lion and the entertaining clown host of his self-titled TV show.
- Mayor Diamond Joe Quimby: A panda and the mayor of Springfield.
- Chief Clancy Wiggum: A pig and Springfield's lazy head of police.
- Moe Szyslak: A toad and the proprietor and bartender of Moe's Tavern.
- Lenny Leonard: A pelican and one of Homer's two coworker friends at the plant.
- Carl Carlson: An armadillo and the other of Homer's two coworker friends at the plant.
- Barney Gumble: A warthog and the town drunk.
- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon: An Indian-accented possum and the operator of the Kwik-E-Mart.
- Cletus Spuckler: A sloth and a stereotypical redneck with a good-natured personality.
- Charles Montgomery Burns: A fox and Springfield's richest and most powerful citizen who owns and runs the nuclear plant.
- Waylon Smithers: A flamingo and Mr. Burns' personal assistant.
- Nelson Muntz: A wolf and a notorious bully at Springfield Elementary.
- Ralph Wiggum: A piglet, Chief Wiggum's son, and the resident oddball.
- Kent Brockman: A rhino and the news anchor for Channel 6.
- Comic Book Guy: A Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep and the overweight, geeky proprietor of Android's Dungeon.
- Professor Jonathan Frink: A Wild Turkey and Springfield's local scientist and college professor.
- Sea Captain Horatio McCallister: A crocodile and a man of the sea who talks like a pirate.
- Dr. Nick Riviera: A squirrel and a quack physician who studied at dubious medical schools.
- Principal Seymour Skinner: A kangaroo and the principal of Springfield Elementary.
- Otto Mann: A camel and Springfield Elementary's bus driver.
- Dr. Julius Hibbert: A raccoon and Springfield's most prominent and competent doctor.
- Reverend Timothy Lovejoy: A coyote and Springfield's local reverend.
- Todd Flanders: A penguin and the younger son of Ned and Edna.
- Rod Flanders: A penguin and the elder son of Ned and Edna.
- Itchy the Mouse: A cruel mouse psychopath from Itchy & Scratchy.
- Scratchy the Cat: A kind cat from the show Itchy & Scratchy who is relentlessly attacked by Itchy the mouse.
- Fat Tony: A beaver and the boss of the D'Amico crime family.
- Lou: A cheetah and one of the two officers under Wiggum's command.
- Eddie: A Carolina Dog and the other of the two officers under Wiggum's command.
- Edna Krabappel–Flanders: A hyena and the 4th Grade teacher at Springfield Elementary and Ned's wife.
- Helen Lovejoy: A horse and the gossipy wife of Rev. Lovejoy.
- Martin Prince: A sheep and an academically brilliant teacher's pet.
- Jimbo Jones: A Blue and Yellow Macaw and one of the school bullies along with Nelson, Kearney, and Dolph.
- Kearney Zzyzwicz: A mandrill and one of the school bullies along with Nelson, Jimbo, and Dolph.
- Dolph Starbeam: A tiger and one of the school bullies along with Nelson, Kearney, and Jimbo.
- Milhouse Van Houten: A snail and Bart's nerdy best friend.
- Agnes Skinner: A kangaroo and the strict and bitter mother of Principal Skinner.
- Mr. Teeny: Krusty's monkey companion.
- Sideshow Mel: A Ring-Tailed Lemur and Krusty's current sidekick.
- Santa's Little Helper: The faithful dog of the Simpson family.
- Cookie Kwan: A deer and a Springfield realtor, the "number one on the west side".
- Lindsey Naegle: A meerkat resident of Springfield who is often known as Springfield's residential business link.
- Hans Moleman: A tortoise with a lot of jobs.
- Bumblebee Man: A bumblebee and the star of a Spanish-language TV sitcom.
- Crazy Cat Lady: A mentally ill zebra always surrounded by cats.
- Sideshow Bob: A woodpecker and Krusty's former sidekick, now a criminal mastermind and Bart's nemesis.
- Squeaky-voiced teen: A teen-aged donkey with a squeaky voice and a lot of jobs.
- Groundskeeper Willie: A orangutan and Springfield Elementary's Scottish groundskeeper and janitor.
- Kang Johnson: A bear and one of two aliens from Rigel 7 along with Kodos.
- Kodos Johnson: A bear and one of two aliens from Rigel 7 along with Kang.
- Jasper Beardsley: A goat and the resident of the Springfield Retirement Castle.
- Blue-Haired Lawyer: A moose and Springfield's most prominent lawyer.
- Superintendent Gary Chalmers: A grizzly bear and the superintendent of Springfield's school district.
- Brandine Del Roy: A sloth and Cletus's wife.
- Duffman: A koala and the mascot and spokesman for the Duff Beer company.
- Frank "Grimey" Grimes: A peacock and an average, realistic salaryman.
- Gil Gunderson: A giraffe and an unsuccessful and unlucky businessman of Springfield.
- Herman Hermann: A one-armed Komodo Dragon and the owner of Herman's Military Antiques.
- Elizabeth Hoover: An ostrich and the 2nd Grade teacher at Springfield Elementary.
- Lionel Hutz: A weasel and an incompetent but greedy lawyer in Springfield.
- Snake Jailbird: A skunk and Springfield's recurring criminal.
- Dewey Largo: A bat and the music teacher at Springfield Elementary.
- Sherri and Terri Mackleberry: A pair of pigeons and manipulative identical twins.
- Troy McClure: A rooster and cheesy B-movie actor who has fallen on hard times.
- Manjula Nahasapeemapetilon: An antelope, Apu's wife, and mother of their eight children.
- Sanjay Nahasapeemapetilon: A possum and Apu’s younger brother who likes to party.
- Jay Nahasapeemapetilon: A possum, Sanjay's son, and Apu's nephew.
- Nahasapeemapetilon octuplets: Eight possums and the children of Apu and Manjula.
- Old Jewish man: An old crazy Jewish vulture who is Grampa and Jasper's friend.
- Arnie Pye: An eagle and a helicopter traffic reporter for Channel 6.
- Raphael the Wise Guy: A Jackson's Chameleon and a wisecracking clerk.
- The Rich Texan: A bison and a stereotypical rich and selfish business owner.
- Luigi Risotto: A guinea pig and the proprietor of Luigi's with an "Italian" accent.
- Roy Snyder: A hippo and one of the main judges in Springfield.
- Disco Stu: A shrew and the disco-loving owner of Stu's Disco.
- Drederick Tatum: A walrus and a former boxer residing in Springfield.
- Kirk Van Houten: An aardvark and the unemployed father of Milhouse and ex-husband of Luann.
- Luann Van Houten: A toucan and the successful mother of Milhouse and ex-wife of Kirk.
- Sarah Wiggum: A pig and the soft wife of Clancy and mother of Ralph.
- Rainier Wolfcastle: A jack rabbit and the Austrian-accented, musclebound action movie star.
- Üter Zörker: A goose and an overweight exchange student from Germany.
Production[edit | edit source]
Development[edit | edit source]
On July 27, 2019 (the twelfth anniversary of The Simpsons Movie), after finding inspiration from "The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase", producers James L. Brooks, Matt Groening, Al Jean, Mike Scully, and Richard Sakai began development of another Simpsons movie, which is a spin-off to the series, but with animals. Groening announces that David Silverman will direct it and a writing team consisting of Brooks, Groening, Jean, Scully, Ian Maxtone-Graham, George Meyer, David Mirkin, Mike Reiss, Matt Selman, John Swartzwelder, and Jon Vitti was assembled. On October 11, Hans Zimmer was selected to compose the score, like he did in The Simpsons Movie and Pasek & Paul were hired to write the songs.
Casting[edit | edit source]
The series' regular voice actors: Dan Castellaneta, Julie Kavner, Nancy Cartwright, Yeardley Smith, Hank Azaria and Harry Shearer, as well as semi-regular performers Tress MacNeille, Pamela Hayden, Maggie Roswell, and Grey DeLisle, reprised their roles. Joe Mantegna returned as Fat Tony and Kelsey Grammer returned as Sideshow Bob Terwilliger. Hayden is announced to replace Marcia Wallace for the role of Edna Krabappel and Castellaneta is announced to replace Phil Hartman for the role of Lionel Hutz and Troy McClure.
Visual effects[edit | edit source]
Music[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
- Main article: The Simpsons: The Springfield Animals/Gallery
Trivia[edit | edit source]
Lists[edit | edit source]
- Main article: The Simpsons: The Springfield Animals/Lists